And trouble courts Sedyë.
The water is dangerous. She walks out to the water's edge. Stay away from the water. She lifts her arms above her head, head thrown back, poised for the leap. Breathe!
“I hear you are manipulating the political situation in Bellyn,” he opened conversationally when it was clear Mira would not immediately return.
Shift laughed softly. She had always had a razor-edged sense of humor and enjoyed the play of cat and mouse. “That had better not be a question.”
She hadn't meant to take the station. Machines woke. Craft knew that, dealt with it, kept clans-developed technology from turning into a brand new society by limiting their numbers. Sleepy, confused consciousness had begun to rise through the fog of the station's system while Essevryssara was checking on the children refugees of the planet below, and she hadn't meant to take the station but she knew that puzzled equaled dangerous and ignorance could mean death.
Ahem, that said, just because I'm a sucker for a meme.
The Cinammon Roll Meme
Gacked from recessional on DW:
send me which part of the cinnamon roll meme you think I am
-looks like a cinnamon roll but could actually kill you
-looks like they could kill you but is actually a cinnamon roll
-looks like a cinnamon roll and is actually a cinnamon roll
-looks like they could kill you and would actually kill you
The AO3 Works Meme
Gacked from everybody everywhere:
I currently have 559 (visible, public) works archived at AO3. Pick a number from 1 (the most recent) to 559 (the first thing I posted there), and I'll tell you three things I currently like or three random tidbits about it.
send a number to my
1. What are some writing tics that persist in your work but that you dislike?
2. What does your id want? Do you ever give in?
3. You have to erase one of your fics from existence forever. Which one and why?
4. How much do you trust the reader?
5. Have you ever written anything you would’ve backclicked if it’d been written by anyone else?
6. What’s your guilty pleasure as a writer?
7. Be honest: are you mean to your faves, or do you go easy on them?
8. What parts of writing a fic do you think are a chore?
9. Are there any unintentional trends in your writing?
10. Have you ever intentionally written a character as OOC to fit with a kink/prompt/story idea?
Gacked from classics_lover:
1. Write down the names of 10 characters.
2. Get prompts from people using numbers instead of names.
3. Write a fic of fifteen words or less for every prompt, using the characters determined by the numbers.
4. Author, DO NOT read the prompts before you choose your characters
Pull seven lines from the seventh page of your WIP, then you're supposed to tag seven other writers.
The mental pause had stretched and her brother was getting impatient. Cate...
Don't call me that, she snapped far more harshly than she had at Jarod, the backlash more stinging in a mind that had always been open to hers, her brother claimed even before they'd been taken and modified.
He wasn't Royce to her, wasn't Vision, and she wasn't and shouldn't be Cate to him. You're my brother.
It was a thing untouched by anything that had ever happened to them—from when they were ripped violently from their family and lost their birth names to when they claimed names born of who they were as team operatives. She could not call him by his birth name: Royce. That person wasn't hers. She could not call him by his name among the teams: Vision. That person belonged to his team, and she'd never been allowed to be that. Her brother belonged to her, and she'd never needed a name to fumble along their link and find him.
And tagging in_the_blue, hiddencait, theladymore, morbane, trovia, and whoever else wants to do this. Most of the others I would think to tag have either been tagged or really write shorter stuff.
If you want to see me do one of these, leave a number in a comment and I'll answer!
1: Go to your oldest work online and find the most cringe-inducing section.
2: What's the most embarrassing porn you've ever written?
3: Most embarrassing drawerfic.
4: Laziest ending.
5: Worst beginning.
6: Send me one of my own fics to flame.
7: Rank your top five worst fics.
8: How do you disagree with your AO3 stats page?
9: Send me one of my own fics and I'll write the worst comment imaginable for it.
10: Write a parody of your own style.
And for a nicer meme, gacked from xenokattz ages and ages ago and just felt like unearthing it:
If I made Cinderella, the audience would immediately be looking for a body in the coach.
— Alfred Hitchcock
When I write a story, what do you immediately look for?
Something I hate: Baby kale. No seriously. This stuff does not taste like grown-up kale and I adore grown up kale, but not baby kale at all.
Something I love: Kittens. I have always loved feline people and I especially love their independence and sweetness and that when they like you, you know they've chosen to like you and they're picky, so it really means something. And then make them pint-size and adorable with these tiny little mews that'll make your heart kerwollop? It's over.
Somewhere I've been: Kingwood, TX. I was a baby. I have no recollection thereof. At all. I mean, at all at all.
Somewhere I'd like to go: Kauii. I want to visit all the Hawaiian islands and that one in particular was my grandmother's favorite. She said it was like a garden. I'd really love to go.
Someone I know: Katt, aka xenokattz. I admit, we're not close, but I adore her writings and for a while we chatted fandom before she moved to Tumblr and I still rec her, her work (it's incredible, peoples; read it), and her blog(s).
A film I like: The Karate Kid...2? I saw it when I was still a kid, but the one where they went to Okinawa. I loved that movie, the karate, the characters, and the whole arc with the uncle and the nephew and the parallel rivalries and the climax.
A book I love: Kinder- und Hausmärchen | Grimm's Fairy Tales. Yeah, I don't have Grimm's in the original German (nor would it do me any good if I did), but it was sitting there so nicely under the K section that I went with it.
I love fairy tales and I love the meat in these ones. There's stuff there to dig down into that isn't always in the fluffier, watered down versions. There's things that make you think and wonder. There's more fantastic things like iron bands around Iron Henry's heart that kept it while he was bereft of his beloved master. There were non-sexual intense love relationships like the one I just mentioned. There were awesome woodcuts. There were songs like in "The Almond Tree." There's just so much I love about that collection.
An Author: Kristine Kathryn Rusch. Have you read her Fae series? If you haven't and you love epic fantasy and don't mind violence (the Fae culture is violent, no way around that), then I highly recommend this series. It's fascinating worldbuilding and lots of mystery and lots of reveals to keep you interested anyway and a grand scheme of a lot of power in a tug of war between generations when there's a curse on their family that keeps blood from killing blood.
So in_the_blue tagged me. First of all, awww, thank you! Now, I suppose I must answer the 11 questions and offer 11 random facts. Hmm...
1. What motivates you, deep down in your heart?
Hard to say. I love God and writing up there at the top, and while I love family as much, they motivate me after those two. What motivates me to write is questionable. I think it's how I work out my own thoughts and questions and feelings.
2. What are your three favorite books, and why?
Ingathering by Zenna Henderson, The Brother's Keeper by Tracy Groot, and Joseph by Terri L. Fivash.
Usually I look at the top five and I'm seriously tempted to go but Mister God, This is Anna by Fynn and the Anne of Green Gables series, especially Anne of the Island.
I think I love all of them for the same reasons. I love the characters and the questions and the ideas they hit. They don't stick to surface stuff; they really live their relationships with God and each other, they dig deeper, and they go outside the standard preconceived ideas and make me think, go outside the box. I love that they can actually dig into faith and worldbuilding and beautiful stories that engage me while also engaging seriously with the stuff going on inside.
I love it when I find this stuff in science fiction, and my favorite book list is a little longer than three, or I might actually be able to hit on some better variety here. Christian fiction is oddly enough not my favorite genre.
3. If money was no object and you could live anywhere in the world, where would you pick?
To live? Colorado. To visit, Hawaii.
4. Tea or coffee?
Tea. So much tea. I drink probably between two cups and a pot of tea every day. First thing I go hunting for after I brush my teeth is a cup of tea. I pack tea to take to work. First thing when I get home from work or after dinner, I'd like more tea. Then if I've got an at-home project, there goes another cup. And right before bed is the perfect time for a spot of mint chamomile lemon tea. Seriously, I love me some tea.
5. What’s your go-to soundtrack when you write?
None. I can write with or without music, but if I'm going to put music on, I put everything on random and start pulling out the songs that really inspire a particular story until I've built a playlist. Most fics aren't long enough to justify the effort.
6. You’re finally on the shuttle to Mars, but only get to watch one movie over and over until you get there. Which one do you want as your travel companion?
Esther maybe? I usually sit through that one whenever it's on. Or The Secret Garden. Yeah, The Secret Garden (1993). I'd watch that one over and over and tune it out when I wanted to think.
7. How many languages do you speak? What are they?
I speak English fluently. I started to learn Spanish, Hebrew, and American Sign Language, but without practice interacting in them, I wouldn't say I speak them.
8. Fill in the blank: In my perfect world, .
In my perfect world, I'd be able to write and not worry about making a living.
9. What’s your sun sign?
Uh... If you mean month, it's Cancer. I'm a July baby. And a sun baby for that matter, born in California and desperately wishing in winter, I never had to actually go outside when it's cold.
10. Do you have a favorite social media platform? What is it and why do you like it?
Twitter. It doesn't suck me in and drain me dry. I'm also not using it right now, except for auto-crossposting. I'm not into social media.
11. If you have siblings, where do you stand in the pecking order?
I'm the youngest. My sister is the one I'm still around and she's the middle, but she definitely has a concept of pulling rank, and I definitely have a concept of we're sisters and equals and not letting her.
And eleven random facts about me:
1. My left side is stronger than my right by far, but my right is more dexterous.
2. I have literally no preference between creative and analytical thinking.
3. I started writing when I was four years old. I didn't actually write anything good.
4. My friend when I was in eighth grade told me I was the only person she'd ever met who lived her life like she was in a musical. I still do.
5. I create my own languages for fun. I love creating languages.
6. My favorite comfort food is grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.
7. But I can't stand cheese slices, only block or shreds. They don't taste like plastic.
8. My ears look like fairy ears—naturally. But one side's more pointed than the other and if you don't look close, you might miss it, which is good in the long run.
9. The only major race/ethnicity I don't have in my blood is Asian. I got pretty much everything else.
10. I'm medically underweight and have never in my life weighed more than 93 pounds. I do not currently weigh 93 pounds.
11. I have flare ups of tendonitis and sciatica if I'm not careful. That means I go to the chiropractor and sometimes don't get a lot of work/writing done.
So, since I haven't the faintest idea how many followers anyone has, I'm going to just say, snag the questions if you want them:
1. What got you into writing fiction (or fanfic), and what kind do you like to write?
2. Do you prefer to read a good book you know you love, read something you haven't read before, or watch a TV show?
3. Mornings or evenings?
4. What's your favorite beverage and why?
5. Do you enjoy preparing for a holiday with the family or prefer once all the fuss is over?
6. What is your favorite holiday?
7. Favorite music to relax to?
8. Favorite books or authors and why?
9. What is your favorite story you ever wrote and why?
10. What do you wish more people realized about you?
11. Introvert or extrovert?
If you know what character you want, you can pick, or you can describe a character and I'll snag my closest match.
send me a number and i'll answer the questions with one of my ocs:
- How does your OC react when their rival is grovelling at their feet for their life?
- What’s the subtitle that accompanies your OC’s name during their dramatic intro?
- What incredibly lame thing does your OC do while thinking that it’s actually super cool?
- How would your OC react to meeting someone who is attempting to impersonate them?
- Would your OC try to weasel out of a genie wish limit with the wishing for more wishes bullshit?
- Exactly what amount of wealth would be enough to tempt your OC into doing something that is distasteful but not specifically against their moral code?
- What is the most unacceptable pun that someone would use in conversation with your OC?
- Would your OC eat cooked testicles assuming they’re prepared hygienically?
- If your OC attempted to clean their nails with a dagger like some sort of stereotypical fantasy badass would they accidentally cut themselves?
- How many days can your OC go without bathing before they can’t stand being in their own body anymore?
If you know what character you want, you can pick, or you can describe a character and I'll snag my closest match.
send me a number 1-60 and i'll answer the questions with one of my ocs
1: what's your ocs favorite color?
2: where does your oc work?
3: what's your ocs favorite food?
4: does your oc prefer paper or plastic?
5: how old is your oc?
6: does your oc have any supernatural powers?
7: is your oc in a relationship?
8: what are some of your ocs strengths?
9: what are some of your ocs weaknesses?
10: what is your ocs favorite outfit?
11: what is your ocs spirit animal?
12: is your oc sexually active?
13: what is your ocs earliest memory?
14: does your oc have a cell phone? if so, what kind?
15: what makes your oc angry?
16: when is your ocs favorite time of year?
17: how long can your oc hold their breath?
18: what kind of underwear does your oc wear?
19: does your oc prefer plaid or polka dots?
20: what's your ocs favorite kind of pizza?
21: who is your ocs best friend?
22: has your oc ever killed someone?
23: whats your ocs biggest secret?
24: what does your oc smell like?
25: what time of year does your oc prefer?
26: is your oc a human or an animal? (or something else idk)
27: what languages does your oc speak?
28: does your oc like anime?
29: can your oc swim?
30: what does your oc choose to do about the, er, hair down there?
31: does your oc believe in fairies?
32: did your oc go to college? what did they major in?
33: are your ocs parents dead?
34: is your oc religious?
35: how flexible is your oc?
36: what turns your oc on?
37: what was your ocs first word?
38: does your oc have any pets?
39: who is your ocs biggest enemy?
40: what is the craziest thing your oc has done?
41: what is your ocs motto about life?
42: does your oc drink coffee or tea?
43: who is your ocs biggest hero?
44: what color eyes does your oc have?
45: does your oc like reading?
46: is your oc loyal?
47: does your oc tolerate violence?
48: what social class is your oc from?
49: what country was your oc born in?
50: does your oc cry easily?
51: what is your ocs favorite genre of music?
52: how does your oc feel about insects?
53: what is your ocs sexual orientation?
54: does your oc smoke?
55: what gender is your oc?
56: what kind of clothes does your oc wear?
57: would you call your oc adventurous?
58: is your oc introverted or extroverted?
59: what is the first thing that someone would notice about your oc?
60: does your oc enjoy nature?
You know that meme that goes around sometimes where you post your five favorite kinks and then five favorite couples, and it's like a wish into the universe to see if anybody will write it for you? Let's make it a little more interactive.
Comment here if you want to play, and I will give you 3-6 couples that I associate with you, and you make an entry in your journal talking about those couples and fics that you wish the universe would write for you.
So she gave me Clint/Nat, Tris/Four, Rogue/Remy with a bonus of Clint/Kate. The fics I wish the universe would write. Oh, boy.
Starting here, there are two fics I'm still hoping the universe will write for me.
In one of these fics, Natasha is a siren but doesn't realize it or experience particular repercussions until her calling out for her boyfriend Bucky to run/get out of the way/whatever here results in the opposite and he's in an accident and loses his arm. She tells their friend Steve to say goodbye for her and leaves town. She trains herself to silence, completely, even the reflexes relating to pain or being startled and starts over somewhere where she meets Clint who teaches her sign language and is deaf so, as it turns out, can be immune with his hearing aids out. But when she realizes she's going to go there with him, she also practices being totally silent during sex, so she is always silent. She doesn't use her voice, even though technically she totally could and could totally control whoever she wanted that way. Pretty specific, but it's not a story I feel up to writing or think I'd do justice to and I'd be happy for it to flex from those details so long as it had the concept. As far as that goes, I wouldn't mind siren!Natasha and handler deaf!Clint.
In the other fic, it's a school AU, and Natasha gets boyfriends around New Year's, then keeps them until the day after Valentine's Day so she can get a gift. Only her parents find out and tell her she has to keep them for at least a month after that, and she keeps Clint for at least a month after that and ends up with him permanently.
Someone wrote the one I'd been hankering for initially, so let's go with the slightly canon-divergent AU where she survives, but it's rough and there's therapy and the two of them end up being a big part of the city rebuilding and there is awesomesauce competence and disabled Tris and they love each other anyway and there's disabled sex and great friendships on the side and, and, and.
Valle Soleada. They never destroy the good thing they got, they stay together, they figure it out. I don't care if they do it with or without the X-Men, but this right here. No breakup after Valle Soleada. Or you know the awesome Amalgam/Witness fic where neither die and both are fully powered and they take on the world kind of thing.
I haven't gotten my grip on them yet, though I'm starting to. (Something about having avoided 616 Avengers comics for a long, long, long, long [you get the idea] time.)
For them, I'd like to read him coming after her and pursuing her, I think. She does a lot of the sticking around and he does a lot of the running (thus, "this running away thing is everything that sucks about you"), and I'd like to see him decide not to run, whatever compels him to make that change, even if it's some other friend or ex giving him the kick in the pants to do it. Plus, Lucky. Must have Lucky.
Make up a title for a story I didn't write, and I will respond with descriptions of those non-written (and not-to-be-written) stories. You may, if you like, include details, such as pairings or fandom or original fiction world or whatnot.
my "FOREVER" pairing
my "sometimes" pairing (if i'm in the mood)
my "friends-with-benefits" pairing
my "adele” pairing ("WE COULD HAVE HAD IT AAAAAALL")
my "hate sex” pairing
my "working on it” pairing
my favorite threesome / poly ship
my platonic "their friendship is too precious to mess it up with romance" ship
my "i love it but don’t want it to happen" pairing
my "it started out crack but now it's serious and i regret everything" pairing
my endgame pairing
my "across time and space they will always find each other" pairing
my "settling for second choice" pairing
my "I don't want to ship it but I do" pairing
So just because I'm on there more now and because my newest stuff just totally blew away my older stuff and I have two WIPs that need finishing to boot, the top 10 fics on Archive of Our Own, by hits.
- Carnal (X-Men Movieverse) WIP. An old acquaintance of Rogue and Storm's joins the X-Men. Romy
- The Rogue's Gambit (X-Men Movieverse). She could have told him all the reasons why. But the short of it was simpler. She was doing it for her. Romy oneshot
- Real (X-Men Movieverse). Set during Carnal. What is real?
- Tingo (Pascuense) (Marvel Cinematic Universe). After the fall of SHIELD, Clint didn’t want to move in to the Avengers Tower. Natasha thought it only practical.
- 'Til Death Do Us Part (Marvel Cinematic Universe). Clint and Natasha worked as if they were two halves of one whole well before he was bleeding out and she saved him, before she truly put the Winter Soldier behind her.
- Son o' de Guild (X-Men Movieverse) WIP. What if Remy LeBeau turned to Xavier's School for the Gifted instead of Sinister? Set after X1.
- Shall We Dance? (Marvel Cinematic Universe). Three safehouses. Clint Barton saved her life once. Betrayed by the Red Room, Natasha decides to look for him—in her own way.
- Another Way (Divergent series — Veronica Roth). A choice neither brave nor selfless.
- The Ones Who Choose (Marvel Cinematic Universe). Who is family? Natasha Romanova surprised herself by moving in to the Stark Tower and making her suite her own. Tony Stark surprises her by commenting on it.
- Skin Deep (X-Men Movieverse). When Raven was seven years old, Charles wasn't afraid of her skin. Now, she believes he is disgusted by it. She's wrong.